Most college students have to live on a tight budget and thus, they cannot afford to purchase new textbooks for each and every class. For such students, there is a great way out – buying used textbooks.
We give you the following benefits of purchasing second-hand textbooks:
- It gives you an opportunity to save money – and this is probably the most important advantage. While a new book can cost a few hundred of bucks, a used one is much cheaper. It can even cost half the price of the new textbook. Many books are only used for one semester, and why spend a fortune on things you will not need in half a year?
- Shipping costs on used textbooks are significantly lower than those on new books. What’s more, some bookstores even offer free shipping – which is a rare option with online stores selling new books.
- As for places to purchase textbooks from, you can only find new textbooks at brick-and-mortar or online stores, while used ones can be also purchased at second-hand bookstores, websites, or from students who have taken this class before. Plus the number of used books available is generally higher than that of new books.
- Another argument for purchasing used textbooks is the fact that it saves natural resources. Just think of it: fewer trees will be cut down since less paper will be needed to produce new printed material. This is a great choice for all environmentally conscious students.
- Finally, when reading a second-hand book, you can often find notes and remarks left in margins by the previous owner. Not only does this save you time, but it also enables you to find the key ideas quickly. You know the points you should focus on before you finish reading the paragraph.
Of course, all this does not mean you should never purchase new books. Do it if you want and can afford it. But remember that buying used textbooks can often be a smarter choice.