Many policy implications exist in the system of criminal justice; hence, there is the need to select the few that are substantial like the environment conservation. Environmental strategies have developed to the level worth recognition. The system of criminal justice is not left for the consideration of the environment as its roles are carried out, challenges are being analyzed and solutions offered to existing problems of the criminal justice department. Learners of criminal justice do understand the ethical issues of real life concerning their immediate environment. This has been facilitated by the ethical issues that consider th environment explored by professionals in the field of criminal justice through the exploration of moral dilemmas. The criminal justice ethics is very important; criminal justice practitioners are highly assisted by ethical values and issues of criminal justice concerning the environment. The practitioners in this field carry out all the tasks having considered the environment as a source of life.
Activities of Criminal Justice and the Conservation of Environment
The preservation of environment cannot be neglected by any field in recent times. It is true that a healthy environment creates healthy people. The department of criminal justice ensures that the environment is considered in all its endeavors. Looking at the roles of criminal justice leaders, it is true that the environment is considered. In addition, as the leaders deal with the challenges facing the criminal justice department, environmental issues are also considered. Lastly, as the solutions towards such challenges are being discussed, the environment is also recognized as discussed, in essence, by this paper.
Responsible Stewardship: Saint Leo Core Values
Based on the Responsible Stewardship on Core Values in Saint Leo, criminal justice leaders assist fully in the ethical enforcement. The resources provided by nature in abundance are used efficiently to develop the community. Criminal justice leaders believe that they are resourceful enough to achieve the goals and missions of the people they serve to. Criminal justice leaders assist in the enforcement of ethics in many ways (Schlosberg, 2007). The roles of leaders of criminal justice while they are developing communities include the protection of property, the protection of life, and the protection of environment as seen below.
- Reducing crime: through inserting the fear of crime, the community is fully served by the criminal justice system. Public safety will be guaranteed once people fear the acts of crime. The community problems and public safety are enjoyed by everybody through the services of criminal justice leaders.
- Reverence for the law: the professional behavior and personal behavior of criminal justice leaders act as a model to be emulated by public. The spirit of law is fully adhered by leaders due to the need of the public to adhere to the law (Shrader, 2002).
- Respect for people: criminal justice leaders take people to be the most important resources. Empathy and concern are shown to violators of law and victims of crime as all people are treated with dignity and fairness. This makes them meet the varied needs of differently people at the individual level. In addition, the leaders of criminal justice respect the people’s ideas and suggestions.
- Integrity: integrity is the standard of criminal justice leaders. In all their work and words, it is clearly seen. This allows the leaders to get respect from the important resources – people. The actions of such leaders match their words and this is seen by their ethical behavior as being honest.
- Commitment: the leaders of criminal justice are committed to leadership. The leaders ensure that communities, professionalcolleagues, and co-workers respect the department of criminal justice (Cyndi, 2008).
With the new changes in criminal justice, quality is achieved. The innovation and creativity are acknowledgedin the criminal justice department as seen in the implementation of new policies. The leaders look for the new and better ways to serve people. It is worth to note that in criminal justice the science is adhered since it leads to a better earth to live on (Schlosberg, 2007). The methods that lead people to achieve certain goals are justifiable according to science. It is true that theories that produce great realizations are promoted by the criminal justice system due to the need to conserve the environment for future generations to have food, shelter, and clothing.
Moral and Ethical Challenges Facing Policy Makers of Criminal Justice as
They Implement Their Programs
Criminal justice leaders have tried in ensuring that life is protected fully, property is protected, and the environment conserved too. However, the leaders and policy makers of criminal justice are faced with many moral and ethical challenges as they try to implement this program. Such challenges include among others the following ones:
- Youth violence: the research has indicated that youth violence result in an adult criminality. This shows that there is the need to curb youth violence. However, youth violence has risen highly in the recent time. The increase in youth violence is a link to abandonment, abuse, and criminal parents among other factors (Shrader, 2002). This has posed a great challenge to the department of criminal justice since the majority of youth does such mistakes and it is still under the adults’ control. To avoid such kind of youth from becoming criminals they should grow up to be punished. The challenge comes in when one considers why such youth commits crimes, thus, posing a challenge.
- Drugs in the community: drug abuse has led to the great destruction globally. The addiction to drugs is a health problem that cannot be neglected. It is worth to note that the addiction is criminalized by the war on drugs. To reduce the use of illegal drugs, we need to encourage the reevaluation of prevalent strategies. However, the criminal justice research uses the covert participation observation for those groups that cannot be studied with the help of ordinary methods showing that ethics is analyzed with the proper attention in criminology.
- Violence against women: the criminal justice system faces many problems brought by the domestic violence and rape cases. the research has portrayed that in spite of efforts on the reformation of the domestic violence and rape laws, the criminal acts related to rape have not declined.
- Overcrowding in prisons: health issues have emerged due to overcrowding in prisons. Both physical and mental issues arise due to prisons being overcrowded. Religious groups think that the goals of restoration and redemption via the rehabilitative incarceration have been dismissed by the punitive criminal justice (Cyndi, 2008). However, the rehabilitation in prisons has been given an upper hand in the department of criminal justice as seen in the United States.
- Over criminalization: the research depicts that the criminal justice system has been overloaded. This has made people being put to jail without necessarily making a mistake. This problem can be handled well if all citizens are treated equally before any prosecution.
The Challenge to Change
Implementing new programs has been hard for policy makers, since the change is believed to be difficult by all people irrespectively of their status. It is true that not everyone is an expert in the criminal justice system. As such, some people have to rely on the empirical evidence, an occasion that has seen many people yarning for the change in this department. However, people need to be educated to adapt to the new policies since the change is possible. The ethics of the criminal justice system accepts changes in this field, since the science is highly recognized as seen in the covert participation observation (Schlosberg, 2007).
The Environment Justice Department
In the field of criminal justice, the department of environment justice is responsible for the preservation of the environment to ensure that future generations get the best place to live on. In the USA, for example, the department has strengthened its efforts in protecting its environment. With the help of environmental justice, the environment hazards and risks are shared without any discrimination at any jurisdictional level (Shrader, 2002). In addition, environmental benefits, natural resources, and environmental investments are equally distributed. Lastly, environment justice ensures that the participation in decision-making and that the information concerning matters pertaining to environment justice is accessible and, therefore, enjoyed by all individuals. The environment can be safe for all generations if they adhere to the objectives and demands of the environment justice.
The criminal justice ethics is handy for all criminal justice practitioners. The environment conservation that determines the future of the coming generation is highly recognized by such ethics. The environment is considered as the policies are being made and when they are also implemented to ensure that the criminal justice system is moving with technology. Nevertheless, criminal justice practitioners face varied challenges as they try to carry out their ethical tasks. It is true that such challenges have solutions. As such, lasting solutions should by provided by the department of environment justice.