King Fahad Hospital of Dammam has planned a lot of initiatives for the renewed governance and result oriented functioning of the Hospital. Information Technology Services will be playing a major role in the innovation and refurbishing of the Hospital with all the modern day facilities that will give its patients an experience of efficient and expedient completion of all necessary activities within the stipulated time. The innovations will be commensurate with the vision of the Hospital – “To be the leading center of excellence in specialized healthcare” and mission – “To provide compassionate quality healthcare, integrated with education and research.”
The first quarter of 2013 will see innovations that will see the implementation and execution of the Information Technology Services in the Hospital. Some of the projects that will take place will be installation, archiving and backing-up of network information system with options against redundancy. The 3M system is scheduled for upgrade while Risk Management Phase II will be on its finalization stage.
As technology is penetrating all fields very fast therefore it has not left the medical field far behind. Therefore, there is a need to support the care of the patient through new technologies that will be implemented in the second and third quarter of the year. There will be numerous states of the art services like digitizing the Operating Rooms (OR). There will also be complete automation of the Hospital that will take place by Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP). Electronic medical records will be digitized so that administration work moves with speed.
MRI Building, Cyclotron and Stem Cell along with the Laboratory Blood Irradiation services and other communication enhancement projects will go through a high level of maintenance activities with the help of ITS.
Information Technology Services plays an important role in the proper functioning of all the activities one encounters as a patient in the Hospital. To systematically implement and upgrade the Hospital we need to use the Information Technology services that are present in the manifesto and which are in line with the strategic goals of the Hospital.
The Hospital has set five main goals to which all departments’ goals aim to fulfill. These (goals) are:
- Develop Effective Leadership.
- Develop Effective communication.
- Improve The Workflow Process.
- Develop A Learning Organization.
- Pursue High Quality Outcomes In Patient Care With High Patient Satisfaction.
2013 will see the Hospitals goals aligned with complete customer satisfaction, such that the Hospital will be well equipped to shoulder the responsibilities of the problems of all its inpatients and outpatients.
ITS is made up of five major operational departments which plays an essential role in the strategic planning of operations on an annual basis. These are:
- Clinical Engineering Dept. (CED)
- Healthcare Informatics Department (HID)
- Enterprise Applications Management Dept. (EAMD)
- IT Management Service & Support (ITMSS)
- Systems Management Service & Operation (SMSO)
The above departments when gone through a complete resource planning will give a new dimension to the Hospital and its day to day functioning.
Initiative Benefits planned for 2013
All the departments mentioned have to work together to implement the strategic goals of the company.
The main benefit will be acquired by the SMSOD Department in 2013 and the implementations will be according to the strategic goals.
The objectives will be as follows for improving the workflow:
- Improve patient experiences by streamlining all patient related processes.
- Introduce a lean culture into the organization by identifying and eliminating all non-value-adding activities.
- Obtain qualitative and quantitative improvements in processes by utilizing such process improvement tools as FOCUS-PDCA, Lean, and Six Sigma methodologies.
- Accelerate the implementation of updated and integrated software systems for clinical and non-clinical processes.
The objectives for improving the communication channels will be as follows:
- Expand the use of the multidisciplinary team approach to improve patient care outcomes to both inpatients and outpatients.
- Improve communication among regional hospitals via video linking/tele-linking to enhance the referral process.
- Inform “internal customers” of any program/project changes when providing critical organization-wide services.
- Provide timely and accurate reports.
For further improvement of communication in the Hospital, there will be an IVR system that can record and attend to the customer’s needs as and when required.
The Head of the communications Department will be in charge for the implementation of the IVR system which will enhance the experience of the customer interaction.
Initiative Completion Time
The first quarter of 2013 will see the completion of the patient related processes.
The installation of the IVR for effective communication between the Hospital staff and the customer will take place in the second quarter of 2013.
Process equipment such as FOCUS-PDCA and six sigma methodologies should be implemented by the department in the third quarter of 2013.
The regional Hospitals can be linked via Tele-linking/video-linking processes. It will ensure wide dissemination of Information technology services acquired at the parent Hospital. It should be completed in the last quarter of 2013.