Definition of the Problem
Abortion has become a controversial issue in many countries. Some have advocated for abortion, while the others have termed it as being illegal. Those who advocate argue that it has some advantages. On the other hand, they argue that abortion leads to the increase in mortality rate. The others claim that abortion is against the religious beliefs. Therefore, the research is aimed at investigating the relationship between mortality rate and abortion.
Abortion is the medical formula of ceasing a pregnancy so that it does not end up in child birth. There are several means of terminating pregnancy. It can be ceased by either having surgical method relying on how lengthy the pregnancy is or by taking abortion pills. There are many factors that contribute to having an abortion. Some of these factors include high possibility that the baby will not survive after birth; health may be in danger because of particular circumstances.
Advocates of abortion, depending on imprecise maternal death in the United State, claim that there is a high risk of a woman dying from child birth than a woman dying from abortion. In contrast, those who criticize abortions have stated that the statistics depending on maternal death are vague, and they have no fundamental facts. They argue that they do not put into consideration the psychological and physical complications associated with abortion (Carl, 2011).
A recent research carried out in Finland has shown that there is a lofty danger of dying within one year of abortion compared to the risk of dying within one year of child birth and miscarriage. This research was carried out by STAKES, the statistical analysis unit of Finland. They take into account all death certificate documents for all women who died between 1987 and 1994. All these women were between 15 to 49 years of age. The total number summed up to 9,192. They then investigated all health care data to identify any pregnancy-related outcome for each and every woman in 12 months prior to their deaths.
The researchers acknowledged that 281 had ceased within a year of their preceding pregnancy. They converted the data of mortality rate per 100,000 events where 48 women, who had ectopic or miscarriage, women who had given birth were 27 and 101 who had abortions. The figures above depend on statistical variation from country to country, year to year and study to study. As a result, the researchers reported the data into confidence interval termed as 95 percent confidence interval. This state that the presented data designates that 95 percent of all research would indicate a report within a given range around the exact reported data (Garfinkle & Hoberman, 1986).
The research further indicated that the risk of committing suicide following a birth of a child was half of the women’s population. The study is consistent with the previous research that has indicated that undisturbed pregnancy reduces the risk of suicide. On the other hand, abortion is directly linked to systematic increase in suicide danger.
The work of STAKES concerning the suicide statistics motivated researchers from South Glamorgan Heath Unit in Britain to carry out a research using their own data. They indicated that among of those who aborted, there was a change from normal suicide attempt before the abortion to a higher suicide cases rate after abortion. There were 8.1% suicide attempts among thousands of women who had an abortion. This figure was compared to 1.9% suicide trials among those who gave their birth. The STAKES researchers also indicated that the risk of mortality from an accident was over five times higher for women who had aborted than those who had given birth.
Another research carried out by Stotland found out that 11% of women surveyed indicated undesirable psychological effect, seven months after their abortion. Furthermore, the study reported that 32% of those considered one of each three abortion patients had an undesirable result to abortion. This 32% composed not only of victims, who experienced post abortion mental diseases, but also included those patients, who regretted having abortion. It is also comprised of those who were guilty and suffered self-reproach or loss (Gissler, 1997).
Previously conducted studies have indicated that abortion has a higher rate of mortality compared to other factors related to pregnancy. These factors include the risk of mortality in relation to child birth and the risk after child birth. In contrast, some countries have advocated for abortion. For example, it is not prohibited to have an abortion in America. The United Kingdom law makes legal to have an abortion within the first 24weeks of pregnancy. However, some conditions must be fulfilled in order to have an abortion.
According to the literature review carried out above, abortion is one of the key factors in mortality rate. Many people who practice abortion suffer psychological and physical problems, which can lead to death. Others do no survive when they practice abortion. Therefore, abortion is a determinant of mortality rate. Hence, mortality late depends on abortion and other factors. As a result, abortion leads to an increase in mortality.
The research was conducted on a population between 15 years and 45 years of age. From the research carried out, the data indicated that 75% of people believed that abortion led to an increase in the percentage of mortality rate. The data are in inconsistency with the research carried out by STAKES, which reported that abortion lead to increase in mortality rate. In addition, the data show that the mortality rate has been increasing over time. This is due to legalization of abortion by many developed countries. For instance, the United States and Great Britain have legalized abortion subject to some conditions.
The data further indicated that 35% advocate for abortion, while 65% are against it and 5% are indifferent. The same case is found in various countries, where some individuals support, while others condemn it. In America, there is a group of people who support abortion and rely on distorted statistics to prove that abortion is safer than giving a birth. On the contrary, the group that disapproves abortion argues that abortion does not only lead to death but also to physical and psychological disorders.
The data also designated that 48% of the respondents consider that women who practice abortion have a high chance of committing suicide. This is consistent with STAKES findings that some individuals commit suicide as a result of abortion. On the other hand, 48% do not believe that a woman can commit suicide due to an abortion, and 4% were indifferent.
Finally, the statistics indicated 15% have evidence of those women who have carried out an abortion. However, they did not indicate whether they have committed suicide. The STAKES statistics identified women who had an abortion and the number of women who had died as a result of abortion.
Abortion can be practiced in critical circumstances. These situations that can lead to have an abortion include those, when the life of a mother and a baby are in danger; when the child birth can lead to medical complication to the child mother, and situations where there is no hope of the child surviving. Therefore, abortion has advantages but should be practiced under stated circumstances. On the contrary, abortion has many side effects. These include increase in mortality rate, physical problems and psychological disorders. According to the literature review and the research conducted, abortion has led to the increase of the mortality rate. In addition, there are other side effects associated with abortion. Therefore, the disadvantages of abortion outweigh its advantages. In conclusion, abortion leads to the increase in mortality rate and has some other side effects and hence should be practiced under certain conditions.
Even this research, however, has shortcomings. The collected data may not be accurate due to inaccessibility of some information. The sample size used was relatively small and thus may not bring us to an accurate conclusion.
The research investigated only a portion of abortion. The research gives a room to investigate the other impacts of abortion. Furthermore, the research does not consider the relationship between abortions and death from homicides and natural causes of death. Therefore, there is a need to investigate on the relation stated above.