While it is true that student years are the most exciting and interesting time of your life, college environment often involves risks and threats you might be unprepared for. Therefore, it is important to be aware of possible dangers and know how to protect yourself.
We give the following tips on staying safe at college
- Whenever you spot anyone or anything suspicious on campus, make sure you report it right away. Do not assume somebody else will do it. The sooner you let your campus security department know the better. Remember the old saying – better safe than sorry.
- Save the number of your campus safety department to your phone. You never know what may happen, and that number may come in handy in an emergency.
- Keep the door of your dorm room locked – even if you just go down to the hall to meet a friend. Always lock the door before you go to sleep.
- When you are about to go out, make sure that you let somebody know where exactly you’re going and what time you will be back. This might seem a trifle, but this way your friends will be able to get you out of trouble if anything happens.
- Consider taking self-defense classes. You will learn how to protect yourself in case of need and how to avoid risky situations.
- Never leave your belongings unattended. In the library, in the cafeteria, in the classroom – always keep an eye on your stuff. You don’t want to turn round and see your iPhone or wallet gone, do you?
- Avoid excessive drinking and by all means refrain from taking drugs. A can of beer or a cocktail at a party is okay, but you should know your limits. Do not get involved in binge drinking.
Hopefully these safety tips will help you to always stay on the safe side.